Liv Pur Nutritional Supplements

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Squats: Work on Form before adding weight

Squats are one of the best exercises to do for overall fitness. There are a bunch of benefits to doing squats when you do them properly. Too many people are worried about the weight before mastering the form. It takes practice to get good squats down right. I have bad knees and a bad back so squats, lunges and deadlifts have always been extra tough for me. I have been trying to work extra hard on them and the result is that my bad knees and bad back actually are stronger and healthier now than they have been in years. But I have to practice good form and work on proper technique constantly before I worry about how much weight I use. I see people doing bad squats all of the time and it hurts my knees just to watch them. So start with bodyweight squats and then work on the different barbell and dumbbell squats with light weight and focus on form. Once you are comfortable with your form then slowly add weight and refocus on form. Here is a video of me working on form with the back and front squats with just the bar. Not perfect, but I'm getting better and deeper every time.

No comments: