Liv Pur Nutritional Supplements

Friday, October 31, 2008

Training around an injured lower back while working it

I've dealt with numerous injuries throughout the last 27 years. Taking time off to heal never seemed to be an option and it really still isn't. So I've learned to train around the injury while taking care of it at the same time.

Last friday I resparked an old lower back injury that has been dormant through hard training for the last two years. I did it while doing deadlifts with 450lbs. Never do that last rep that you have to convince yourself to do.

The MRI said something about L4 & L5 bulging disks, pinched nerves, curvature of the spine, arthritis, tendonitis, degenerative joint disease and a bunch of other words I can't pronounce.

This injury of the lower back started with full contact sparring (kickboxing type)over 20 years ago and then my Army induced, high speed, dirt torpedo, impacts into the earth from static line parachuting and fast roping, long ruck marches with heavy packs, long runs, heavy weight lifting, and more martial arts kept it in play for the last 20 years.

Physical therapy (useless imo) and chiropractor weekly visits for over 20 years kept me operational. My last chiropractor on Fort Benning was a former personal trainer so we had alot to talk about. Not only did he snap me back into place but he gave me many fitness and nutrition tips that helped me get started in my civilian training business. He taught me about the importance of core training and simple things you can do to strengthen your lower back and core. As soon as I implemented his recommendations into my workouts my back improved dramatically. My knowledge and skills have improved alot since then and now I use those priciples as a foundation for my client's training. So if you are one of my clients you can figure out why you do the zillions of core drills weekly.

I also learned how to train around my injuries and train my clients around their injuries. Here are a few videos from today's workout - mostly deadlifts, shrugs, pushups, stair sprints, deadlifts to arm curls. All with light weight keeping in mind that I did this with a injured lower back. And no, it didn't hurt my back, it actually made it feel better. Check it out.



No comments: