Liv Pur Nutritional Supplements

Saturday, July 9, 2016

RAMA: Program for Warriors


As I plug away at the courses for my 5th and hopefully, final college degree, I often reflect back to my first college degree. 

The RAMA (Restorative Arts & Martial Arts) program was one of the best educational experiences of them all. 

A degree program for warriors, taught by warriors. A collaboration between Troy University, the Ranger Training Brigade and the 75th Ranger Regiment at Fort Benning. 

The year was 1997. This program was ahead of it time, as most of the topics taught have become popular trends now.

Functional fitness, kettlebells, bodyweight, SAQ, plyometrics, Dumbbells, medicine balls, Indian clubs, Army master fitness trainer, resistance training, BJJ combatives, combat hapkido, combat handgun, meditation, and anatomy & physiology were some of the fundamental courses. 

The down side, was at the time, there were very few certifications available, for these topics. So it ended up just being a course on a transcript. 

Now there are certifications for just about every topic that they taught. 

The program was great for shooters as the courses were very relevant to the job. 

The entire Army should have adopted the program. But like most things in the military, that actually work and are good, the program was canceled. 

I was glad that I was able to at least get my 1st associates degree through this program. 

Almost 20 years later, I still apply the concepts learned in this program, to the program that I teach today.

Sometimes new is not really new and new is not always better.

"Lean, fast and strong" are the fundamental cornerstones of my program and have been for over ten years now.

The RAMA program was instrumental in my development as a trainer and strength coach. 

I will always be grateful for the opportunity and experience that I received from this once great program. 

Eric Dempsey
MS, ISSA Master Trainer
Dempseys Resolution Fitness

No comments: